Monday, April 14, 2014

Me versus the Paper Monster

Can I just tell you, I hate grading papers. It is a deplorable chore that I put off and put off, until finally I'm in a situation like this:

Now, I'm preetttttty organized in regards to school supplies, books, and my filing cabinet.  But when it comes to my students' finished work, I'm a mess.  (See above.)  So every couple weeks, I have to spend (what feels like) an eternity going through the piles of paper, grading and filing, until the same table looks like this:


As you can see, I needed a Starbucks break somewhere in there, but I all but finished!  Whew! 

One of my projects this summer will be to come up with a system for taming the paper monster. I'm open for suggestions, people!  How do you stay on top of grading, and keep the deluge of paper at bay?

2 comments:

  1. Whenever I can I look at the work as students are completing it. I walk around adding stickers or stamps and have them put them in their cubbies. Of course this doesn't work for assessments and work I need to review and save in their portfolios. ...a constant challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That's a great idea, to have the kids file their own work as it's completed. When I'm able, I walk around with my iPad and enter grades into Gradelink, the online grading system we use, but I can't do this for Center Work, when I'm running my own center.

      Delete